Pontchartrain Park was developed in the mid-1950s by the Park and Parkways Commission (now the Department of Parks and Parkways) on the lakefront land adjacent to the Industrial Canal. The 190-acre park, initially constructed for use by African Americans, provided a 9-hole golf course (expanded in 1957 to 18 holes), a picnic area, playground and lagoons. Several years later a baseball stadium and tennis courts were added. In 1979, the golf course was was renovated and renamed in honor of Joseph M. Bartholomew, Sr., the course's designer and first golf pro. The playground, stadium and tennis courts are now administered by the New Orleans Recreation Department.
Pontchartrain Park subdivision was developed by private investors at the same time on land surrounding the public park. Billed at the time as "one of the biggest, most luxurious Negro developments ever undertaken in the South," the 200-acre subdivision contains 1000 two and three-bedroom homes.
The Pontchartrain Park subseries includes 65 black and white prints within the general collection of Department of Parks and Parkways prints. Most of the photographs are of the golf course and public park, but several aerial photographs show the subdivision (under construction and completed) as well.
The prints were scanned as grayscale images at 400 dpi and saved as TIFFs, which are being retained as archival masters. The TIFFs were edited to produce the 600 pixel JPEGs and the 150 pixel JPEG thumbnails displayed on the pages listed below. Duplicate prints were not scanned and are not included.
Several additional Pontchatrain Park photographs can be found among the Haynes S. Ragas Collection. Additional aerial photographs of the site (1954-1958) can be found among the "Oversized" photograph collection.