In 1928, the New Orleans Association of Commerce raised funds totaling $429,000 to advertise and promote the city to industrial and commercial investors across America. This effort included the distribution of promotional photographs. As stated in the New Orleans Association of Commerce's 1928 Achievements of Organization, “…more than 500 photographs of New Orleans scenes were assembled and 3,400 small post card size reprints of thirty-four of the most attractive of these scenes were obtained. Before the end of the year more than thirty-five sets of these photographs were supplied to editors and publishers requesting them.”
The New Orleans Association of Commerce was established in 1913 through the merger of the Young Men's Business League and the New Orleans Progressive Union, and joined the United States Chamber of Commerce the following year. The assocation was comprised of local businessmen focused on promoting New Orleans to visitors and industry. The Louisiana Division holds annual reports, factbooks, a vertical file, and correspondences to city officials from the New Orleans Association of Commerce dating from the 1910s-1940s.
This collection of seven photographs depicts buildings, streets, and other classic New Orleans scenery during the 1920s, including St. Peter Street, Napoleon House, Le Petit Theatre, among others. The photographs were donated by Dr. Chet Coles from his personal collection in 2015.